We have been what kinds of things we would like that we can’t find here in Germany. Thus, a page specifically dedicated to how to send packages (the logistics) and what you can put inside! We are so thankful for people wishing to do this. It blesses our hearts!
Easy and Versatile Gifts
Paypal – You can give us money to spend online, use for practical things, or spend on something fun. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
iTunes Email Gift Certificate – For buying movies, music and TV shows. Most American media isn’t available in Germany.
Kindle Gift Card – So we can buy books on our e-readers.
To Send in a Package
Amazon.de – If you can navigate the German, mail it to us from Germany. Anything sent within Europe isn’t liable to import taxes.
American Candy – candy canes, Trader Joes Power Berries, Reeces (for Liz).
Food – Salsa, green enchilada sauce, canned green chiles, seasoning packets, McCormick steak and chicken seasonings, Crystal Light drink packets (to flavor water), and Juanita’s Chips!!!
Tips for Shipping to Germany
Address the package like this:
- It’s best if you hand-write the labels and use a home address, rather than a business address.
- On the customs form, please list enclosed items* and write “Unsolicited gifts not for resale or other purpose / Private Geschenksendung ”
*Instead of “chocolate chips, baking powder and pudding mix”, you can write “goods for baking”; “Toiletries,” “Used Clothes,” “Processed Food,” etc.
- If the value noted on of your package is less than 45 Euro, we should have no trouble receiving it. If it is more than 45 Euro, we will likely pay a duty fee of 20%, and perhaps need to drive 45 minutes away in order to pick it up. Something to keep in mind.
- If you take something out of the original box, include the flattened box and/or a clearly written label (ie put the Chocolate Chips in a Ziploc bag with a label)
- Include a personal note/letter to us on the top. This establishes it is in fact from a friend and not an e-Bay purchase.
- If you send clothing, removes all price tags.
- Please do not send medicine, vitamins, coffee or tea. These items will likely be confiscated. You can read the U.S. page on what is allowed and not allowed, and how to package things to send to Germany HERE. You can also read about what is acceptable and not from the German side HERE.
- Mailing a package to Germany can be expensive. Sometimes the shipping will cost more than the contents of the package. If you’d like to get us something without having to pay for shipping, try an e-giftcard or use amazon.de (see list above).
- It can take a month for packages shipped from the US to arrive.